Music Director position
Memorial Church is looking for a music director (10-15 hours/week) to oversee our music ministries, working with our staff to engage our congregation in sharing their musical gifts and talents. The ideal candidate will be tech-savvy, appreciative of diverse music, current with new trends for worship music, able to accompany or direct groups as needed, and capable of bringing out the best in other musicians.
Currently, we have a vocal choir, handbell choir, and instrumental band, rehearsing weekly and playing in worship monthly; and a vocal praise team (hoping to add instruments) rehearsing weekly and helping to lead worship 2-3 times per month. We have a part-time staff organist/accompanist/handbell choir director and volunteer leader for the instrumental band.
Access to recordings of our worship services can be found on our website: www.gladstonechurch.org.
To apply, please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 8.
Director of Music
$8,000 – 9,000 annual salary range; part-time 10-12 hrs/wk, non-exmp; reports to Pastor
General Description: Oversees music ministry of Memorial UMC, under direction of Pastor and collaborating with other staff and volunteers. Includes oversight of music for all worship services, activities, or events, and all music groups.
Work Experience Requirements
- Experience and skill as a musician sufficient to lead and develop other musicians
- Ability to read music; familiarity with and appreciation for wide variety of music resources
- Knowledge of and ability to play piano or another musical instrument
- Experience with and ability to direct variety of musical groups, vocal and instrumental
- Current knowledge of on-line streaming and in-house audio technology, licensing, and resources
Prefer background in musical education and training, including conducting choirs; training in sound systems, on-line production and streaming, liturgical music and arts all highly desirable
Our music ministry currently includes 1-2 Sunday worship services; vocal choir, handbell choir, praise team, and instrumental band. Part-time organist/accompanist/handbell director and volunteer band director. Faithful attention to preparation, details, attendance, and commitments is essential.
- Collaborate with worship committee, volunteers, and staff to sustain meaningful music ministry that uses the gifts and talents of our congregation to praise God. On-going
- Plan and provide for all aspects of music for Sunday worship, in-person and/or on-line. Weekly
- Plan and provide music for special seasonal worship (e.g. Advent/Lent/Holy Week), other activities and events. As needed
- Lead or oversee designated leaders for all music groups, rehearsing weekly and performing monthly. On going
- Foster a ministry-focused atmosphere with shared prayer and faith formation integral to musical group. On-going
- Oversee sound/projection/livestreaming operations, working with other staff and volunteers. On-going
- Participate in worship planning with worship design team. Seasonally and weely
- Maintain the musical resources library including electronic formats and proper licensing. On-going
- Manage communications, resources, and scheduling of all aspects of music ministry. On-going